RE: math for reproduction and domination

Young children have often very well-developed senses of fairness (see Vivian
Paley's work), so I do think that the kind of thinking about privilege that
W-M Roth points to is not that far off for first graders. That it is obvious
that schooling in the US (and other places) is a very efficient sorting
mechanism and is less efficient at fostering meaningful learning that can be
transformative doesn't relieve educators and researchers of a responsibility
to try to change schooling and learning. There are important efforts at
addressing the kinds of issues Roth brings up in elementary grades by such
groups as Rethinking Schools, where content learning (math, science,
language arts, social studies) is grounded in problems facing marginalized
groups and communities, as well as Moll and colleagues' work on funds of
knowledge that recognize cultural practices of marginalized communities as
important resources for learning.

I'm not arguing that bb's analysis has to include the cultural historical
analysis Roth wrote of, but I do appreciate the call to our discussion to
consider it...

Nancy Ares
Assistant Professor
Teaching & Curriculum