Re: education, technology & chat

On Thursday 11 November 2004 8:58 am, Phil Chappell wrote:
> Hmm. Mediational results of research tools; tools which are so often
> unproblematically included.

I captured the audio from the teacher directed math lesson, Phil, using an
olympus ds-330 digital recorder, which is the size of a small candy bar,
placed at the base of the projector.  It's small enough to place anywhere
inconspicuous and it gets 2.5 hours of data.

That's the upside.  It works great for interviews, and is horrible for group
discourse at a table when the rest of the class is noisy.  I'm not sure if
it's the compression method or what, but I get much better audio with analog
cassette.  I'm looking into table mics and could benefit from anyone's
suggestions.

In this math case, since the discourse is IRF, there is only one person
talking at a time and i think i've got something useful.  I'll process it
tomorrow while traveling and will know better then.

Yes, the discourse is important to my study.  The challenge is capturing
something useful.