Re: general, particular Holzkamp, Engeström

From: Oudeyis (victor@kfar-hanassi.org.il)
Date: Wed Oct 13 2004 - 21:34:52 PDT

It is clear, firstly, that the exchange of activities and abilities which takes place within production itself belongs directly to production and essentially constitutes it. The same holds, secondly, for the exchange of products, in so far as that exchange is the means of finishing the product and making it fit for direct consumption. To that extent, exchange is an act comprised within production itself. Thirdly, the so-called exchange between dealers and dealers is by its very organization entirely determined by production, as well as being itself a producing activity. Exchange appears as independent of and indifferent to production only in the final phase where the product is exchanged directly for consumption. But

(1) there is no exchange without division of labour, whether the latter is spontaneous, natural, or already a product of historic development;

(2) private exchange presupposes private production;

(3) the intensity of exchange, as well as its extension and its manner, are determined by the development and structure of production. For example. Exchange between town and country; exchange in the country, in the town etc. Exchange in all its moments thus appears as either directly comprised in production or determined by it.

from: Karl Marx's Outline of the Critique of Political Economy (Grundrisse)2) The Geneeral Relation of Production to Distribution, Exchange, (c1) Exchange, Finally, and Circulation. Exchange and Production pg. 99

Michael, significantly, you left out the rest of the paragraph (in red).

Exchange of activities and abilities which takes place within production itself is simply the expression of the fact that human production is a social process involving collectivities. Equally, exchange of products is a part of the productive process if the purpose of exchange is to complete or finish the product. On the other hand exchange of goods for a living (for needs emerging from the self-perpetuating process) is no longer a fact of production, but of the relations of production: division of labour, private production, and of course private property.

Indeed labour and the means of production do not disappear with the transformation of the product from the outcome of the forces of labour, rather they are sublated into the exchange process, at very least as restricting conditions for the intensity, extension and manner of exchange.

Victor