Re: post re Leontiev & Memory

From: Carlos Koelbl (KOELBL@erz.uni-hannover.de)
Date: Tue Oct 05 2004 - 08:38:38 PDT

Mike,

perhaps it is a bit exaggerated to speak of Leontiev's
memory studies as ecologically valid, I admit that. What
really is interesting though is that he explicitly includes
meaning-making processes in his experiments, even to the
extent of acknowledging that his subjects memorize via
short narratives. Besides he reflects on possibilities of
cross-cultural research on memory pointing to problems
current research has not solved either (e.g. equivalence).
So: of course you cannot avoid seeing a lot of weaknesses
in Leontiev's research on memory but on the other hand he
seems to belong to one of those who made a valuable effort
towards a cultural psychology of memory - the remarkable
fact being that no one gives this credit to him.

Best,
Carlos

P.S.: The book of Saito is very good, I know it.

Am 30 Sep 2004 um 10:53 hat Mike Cole geschrieben: