Re: negative ZPD?

From: Ruth A. Wiebe Berry (raberry@acsu.buffalo.edu)
Date: Tue Sep 21 2004 - 06:04:27 PDT

Andy,

Your query brought to mind Abelson's theory of "unboundedness," that
is, extensions of beliefs to somewhat unpredictable domains. The
text and references below are taken from a paper I'm working on
(currently undergoing editorial review) dealing with teacher beliefs.
This doesn't specifically address anxiety or negative application of
a concept, but might address the "bleed across" issue.

"Statements were selected to meet the definition of one or more of
the following categories drawn by Nespor (1987) from Abelson's (1979)
theory regarding the makeup of belief systems. According to Nespor,
these four features, taken together, define a belief: (a) existential
presumptions: conditions, situations, or understandings teachers seem
to take for granted; (b) alternativity: idealized forms of practice
teachers seek to emulate; (c) affect: topics or ideas that elicit
emotional responses; and (d) episodic storage: stories teachers tell
about themselves or their classrooms.... Beliefs may have stable
"core applications" (Nespor, 1987, p. 321); in other words, a
perspective may consistently apply to particular situations (e.g.,
process writing). However, beliefs also possess the attribute of
"unboundedness" (Nespor, p. 321), that is, extensions to less
predictable areas (e.g., all teaching behavior). It may be argued
that while these teachers revealed specific orientations to their
writing instruction, these orientations also provided evidence of
systemic frames of reference which underlay all their teaching. Such
systemic frames have three functions: (a) delimiting what teachers
attend to, perhaps subconsciously; (b) selection of resources to
address a situation; and (c) selection of strategies to coordinate
resources (Nespor)."

Abelson, R. P. (1979). Differences between belief and knowledge
systems. Cognitive Science, 3, 355-366.
Nespor, J. (1987). The role of beliefs in the practice of teaching.
Journal of Curriculum Studies, 19, 317-328.

Ruth Berry
University at Buffalo