RE: People and the city

From: IRAJ IMAM (iimam@cal-research.org)
Date: Tue Sep 07 2004 - 21:13:23 PDT

Mike:

I was at a thesis defense today where I thought about you. About space,
access, being deaf, and sign language. Many fascinating issues with a lot of
discussion of space "versus" place (it turns out this distinction does not
exist in ASL and is extraordinarily difficult in English, even for someone
writing a thesis on it!).

What most fascinated me is that sign language uses space in a way that
spoken languages do not, so the reverberation from post-modern geography to
socio linguistics, inequallity in "shared" spaces/places, and the spatiality
of a particular rhetorical discourse had my head spinning....... and then,
as if by accident, the issue of spaces comes up on xmca. Amazing.
--------

Interesting coincidence Mike,

Your distinction between ASL using space (body movement) and spoken/written
language using text (symbol movement) reminded me of Julie Cheville's
"minding the body." she argues learning through body movement is different
from learning through texts.

iraj