Miles Horton and Highlander School

From: Ares, Nancy (nancy.ares@rochester.edu)
Date: Sun Aug 29 2004 - 06:20:30 PDT

Hello,

I was intrigued with the political education proposal, and the
choice of texts question. Paulo Freire is most famous for using
generative words and texts to foster both literacy and political
awareness and social action. I would also suggest drawing on the
work of Miles Horton at the Highlander School in the U.S. for
ideas. The work their that I am aware of had 'comrades' (including
Rosa Parks and Martin Luther King, Jr.) study the U.S.' Constitution
and Bill of Rights as texts to build literacy and political action.
Freire and Horton's approaches may be informative...

the website for the Highlander School is www.highlandercenter.org/

Nancy