RE: elearning and chat

From: von Brevern Hansjoerg (Hansjoerg.vonBrevern@iwi.unibe.ch)
Date: Thu Aug 12 2004 - 10:23:13 PDT

Dear Mike,

Ok, I see where you are coming from!

You suggest to start off based on an example. Yes, that would be more than exciting to work on a practical example. Particularly, if it were a real-life example. I don't know if the group knows of the course and is interested if we shared lots of discussions and even make papers on it - I would also like to contribute to the MCA and group! It could be stimulating to analyse and research on the requirements on the basis of AT - at least, that is what I would like to do, to then build the curricula on the basis of Davydov's theory (is that the correct reference?). Yet, at my end, I am not getting any support/mediation from my prof ....

As with regard to the 'stand alone' part of a curricula to be delivered electronically, I am thinking if not the artefact should include a 'sociocultural' aspect - particularly when thinking of distance education. What would you think? Well, here is what I thought or would like to look at:

since a curricula - under the notion of AT - builds a 'universe' of its own, its components are built together quite prescriptively. However, they will need to include a degree of adaptivity in view of the user profile, navigation, and performance to allow state transitions. This is one aspect which I would like to analyse using AT. This should build the basic boundary of the system while 'higher' mediation should be the responsibility of a human instructor and other learners. However, as you said, a real-world example would allow so much discussion and analysis.

Also, Mike, please allow me to mention that I always welcome criticism of correction whenever I say or assume something incorrect because I would like to learn! Thank you very much,

Best regards,
George