Bernstein and SFL workshop

From: Phil Chappell (phil_chappell@access.inet.co.th)
Date: Sat Aug 07 2004 - 04:34:50 PDT

For the two-dozen or so people to whom I sent a recent paper by
Bernstein (and of course all others), you just might be in Sydney in
December and wish to attend the following three-day workshop!

Reclaiming Knowledge: Registers of discourse in the community and
school. A workshop this December 13-15 at Sydney University, featuring
Christie, Martin, Maton, Matthiessen, Muller, O'Halloran, Painter,
Tyler, Wignell and Williams as keynote speakers. The organisers are
aiming to push along the dialogue between Bernstein's sociology of
education and Systemic Functional Linguistics (SFL), focussing on the
complementary natures of knowledge in the home, workplace and school.

For me, I'm still inspired by Panofsky's recent paper and am looking
for a more synthesised approach to understanding the nature of
classroom social interaction. If anyone is interested in an on- or
off-list discussion of vertical and horizontal discourses and the
relationship of each to home and school learning, as well as the
discontinuities between them, I'd be appreciative. Some relevant papers
(Panofsky and Daniels) are on the xmca papers page.

Phil Chappell

Conference information
http://www.lexised.com/asfla/Bernsteinflyer0_4.pdf (for more
information)