From: Robert Bracewell [mailto:robert.bracewell@mcgill.ca]
Sent: Fri 7/30/2004 11:52 AM
To: xmca@weber.ucsd.edu
Subject: RE: Learning Paradox

With respect to resources to resolve the "learning paradox", have there
been any discussions in this forum on Peirce's concept of abduction (as
opposed to deduction and induction)? Prawat in the late 90's was advocating
a correspondence between this concept and the later Dewey concerning
inquiry. And Tim Koschmann at AERA two years ago presented a nice summary
of the positions and distinctions, and critique of Prawat's argument (don't
know whether it has been published, but I'm sure that copies are available
from Tim). And as usual, LSV seems to be onside with the following
semi-aphoristic (and lovely to my ear) comment concerning the nature of
induction from Historical Meaning of the Crisis in Psychology, "Sit can be
said that analysis is always inherent in investigation, otherwise induction
would turn into registration." (Collected Works, vol. 3, p. 321)

--Robert

Robert J. Bracewell
Associate Professor
McGill University