Re: the role of externalization

From: Phil Chappell (phil_chappell@access.inet.co.th)
Date: Sun Jun 06 2004 - 04:13:34 PDT

I see it many times with Thai's learning English, especially when an
instance of focusing on grammatical form is followed by some language
use task. As in mathematical examples, the child or student is
attempting to get the syntax right be creating a "virtual" tool, often
writing in the air, at other times ordering the elements, or the flow
of discourse by finger counting. I think Jim Wertsch said in terms of
maths formulae, the answer to the question, "How did you get that?" is
"Me and the mediational means arrived at the answer" - not the agent
alone.

Phil