Re: 1973 article by Wartofsky on perception, representation, artifacts

From: Oudeyis (victor@kfar-hanassi.org.il)
Date: Wed May 26 2004 - 21:34:44 PDT

Steve,

Just as well you're taking a short vacation from the discussion, it'll give me the time necessary to research and formulate an appropriate response. My response needs some introductory material that I hope will provide us with a common basis for discussion:

Discussion of the history and nature of the ideal (you can skip this if you like)----------------------------------

1

Part of the controversy between us involves arguments between Hegelian objective idealism and subjective idealism concerning the nature of the ideal KM and EVI while criticizing Hegelian objective idealism, both regard it as an integral part of the general theory of human development; historical materialism, and this is especially true concerning Hegel's general definition of the ideal and its relation to the material world. Other elements of the discussion concern the remaking of the Hegelian concept of the ideal made by Marx, suggested by Lenin in part, and finally realized by EVI. Finally, I've made some additional observations concerning differentiation of the ideal (particularly the differentiation called by Hegel, "the theoretical ideal," and, "the practical ideal,") inspired by theoretical and practical work by Vygotsky, some of EVI's writings, and current exchanges concerning the origins of spoken language: particularly work by Tomasello, Deacon, and Plotkin.

2

     The most important distinction between Hegel's philosophy and those that immediately preceded him, especially Kant, was his assertion that the ideal was a unity of the material and the spiritual. Kant, more or less like Descartes, Locke, Hume, and of course the good bishop Berkeley, set apart ideation and "things of the spirit," from the world of palpable materiality. As you can see from the list of Kant's predecessors in this regard, the pedigree of this ontology includes some of the most important contributors to the formation of speculative and social-political thinking of modern European civilization, and it is no surprise that Hegel and Marx are hard to understand, even for those who value their works.

3

     Kant's dualism, his strict separation of thought and sense, focuses the search for meaning primarily onto the language based constructs of formal thought and discounts any determinate relation between the products of thought and world conditions. Ideation itself can only be a strictly subjective act, and any possibility of human transaction must be a function of fundamentally human ways of thinking (the a priori categories of transcendental ideation). Society is then a function of identical human participants sharing basic mechanisms for thinking (more or less the view of Chomsky, Pinker, and Calvin with all the associated difficulties of this standpoint). Change and development of thought, much less activity, is virtually inexplicable for subjective idealism. If considered at all, it can only be the product of unpredictable impact of indeterminable forces of an essentially inaccessible material world on otherwise finished human products.

4

     Though Hegel's critique of Kant's philosophical ideas focuses on all these aspects, it is the strict segregation of sensuality from ideation lies at the heart of the problematic relevance of Kantian subjective idealism to social theory. Clearly, people cannot directly read the minds of others so communication between individuals can only be effected if ideation is in some way united with sensually detectable experience. Hegel posited that while ideation itself is an essentially subjective internal activity, it is made into a sensually detectable idea through the medium of objectification, objectification being the material expression of ideation; the result being the IDEA. In short, for Hegel the idea is a meaningful object and ideality, thought expressed, represented, or embodied in material objects. Bakhurst's impression of the "strangeness" of EVI's concept of the externality of the ideal is characteristic of all objectivist philosophy from Plato to Ilyenkov and says more about Bakhurst's philosophic stance than about EVI's theories about ideality.

5

     Hegel, despite his theoretical recognition that thought was far more extensive than verbally based ideation, represented ideation as an essentially language based logical process. The ideal was then essentially theory and theorizing as it is embodied in words and sentences spoken and written. This form of the ideal he called the "theoretical ideal." The theoretical ideal translated into practical action (what we call the application of theory) represents a higher ideality that Hegel called the "practical ideal."

6

     Marx and Engels never developed an explicit theory of the formation of the ideal, but as EVI shows in his works: (1960) The Dialectics of the Abstract and the Concrete in Marx's Capital, and (1974) Dialectical Logic, in the course of producing Capital they developed material "systems" of relation to replace Hegel's formalist notions and relocated ideation itself in material practical (productive) activity. These modifications of Marx and Engels of the Hegelian schema were, of course, consistent with their general theory that human culture and history are functions of tool-assisted production that is the particular manner in which humans realize their organic state (as living, reproducing organisms).

7

Marx's concept of the ideal is then somewhat different from that of Hegel's. The Marxist ideal is essentially the "practical ideal," the unity of practice (knowledge) and volition and the merging of labour with object (objectification of social practice or productive activity). In short the practical ideal represents that stage of development of practice where means becomes one with ends. The Hegelian argument that the practical ideal is emergent from the theoretical ideal represents a much more restricted (objective idealist) theory of civilization than that of Historical Materialism. And what of the theoretical ideal in materialist theory? The answer to this question is one of the more important contributions of EVI to theory.

8

    EVI, to the confusion of his soviet critics and Bakhurst among others, argues that Hegel's objective idealism does in fact explain the subjects of inquiry for which it was made. EVI's judgment of objective idealism resembles Marx's evaluation of the theories of classical political economy of Smith and Ricardo, which were superseded by his own theory of Capital. EVI identifies Hegelian philosophy of civilization as essentially the theory of the practice of verbally expressed speculation and theorization. This kind of specialized creative practice - and creative practice it is - emerges from the development of division of labour between "thinkers and workers." Naturally, as a theory of knowledge, objective idealism reflects the restricted attention of the theorists, the special practitioners of logical practice. EVI's work clarifies both the debt of Historical Materialism to Hegelian thought as well those features of HM by which it succeeds and supersedes objective idealism. While his recognition that Hegelian philosophy represents a restricted theory of the development of the ideal contextualises objective idealism in the science of culture, EVI's analysis of the relation between production of theory and general production is limited to the cultural historical development of the division of labour. EVI never actually accounts for the special ontological relations between production as a condition for survival and reproduction of the human race and production of language and of verbalized theory. It appears to me that a goodly part of our difficulty in understanding ideality is the function of our lack of theory concerning this relation.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------End of discourse on general theory of the ideal

Now, my response to your message (May 24, 2004 - 12:21 PM; Subject: Re: 1973 article by Wartofsky on perception, representation, artifacts):

9

The paradigm of ideality I present is more like this:

Cultural artifacts = ideality = object {embodying social practice meaning} + practice {objectified and thereby made social}.

 This "equation" represents the simplest form of ideality. As Ilyenkov writes in the Concept of the Ideal, more complex ideality would represent complex combinations of simpler objectified practice. Idealities could conceivably represent arrays of objects that are in turn objectifications of other practices. The choice of gold dust, miniature copper hoes, or dentalium shells as objectifications of labour value that is itself represented by the amount of commodities that may be exchanged for the commodity produced by it (I hope that makes sense). So we can have

 Cultural artifacts = ideality = objects {embodying other Idealities = objects embodying {social practice meaning}+ practice {objectified and thereby made social}.

10

     The paradigm of ideality that I am pushing is more a combination of A and B than one or the other. On the one hand ideality is identified as the cultural artifact while its ingredients are the embodying objectification and the embodied social practice (labour) on the other hand it emphasizes the unity of materiality (objectivity) and activity (practice) that distinguishes objectivism from the dualism of subjective idealism. Also rather than representing ideality as a mechanical combination of two distinct forms, I use {} to represent the relation of embodiment. Note that the embodiment of practice is in fact a product of objectification. The ideal represents a further step in which the object becomes a cultural expression or representation of practices and where practice, now objectified, can become cultural practice. My reasoning on this is that the cultural artifact is a socially meaningful object (an object produced through social labor that creates ideality or social meaning, and that the "outcome" at each step of the process is a changing cultural artifact - ideality, reflecting the dynamic which emphasizes how conscious and intentioned human labor transforms material nature into cultural artifacts

11

     The problem I'm working on concerns the ontological relation between the ideal as represented by this general theory of ideality as socially endorsed objective representation of social practice and the special form of ideality of products of spoken and written language, graphic diagrams, and other specialized representations of labour. In other words what are the special features material and practical that distinguish language use, glyptic representation, and diagramming practices from general ideality and how does the former develop relative to the latter. As we have seen above, Hegel's schema of the ideal that views the practical ideal, as the negation of the theoretical ideal and the penultimate stage of the development of the idea has virtually no meaning for Historical materialism, so the relation between practice (as knowledge) and theory (as a special form of knowledge) must be found elsewhere.

12

  My original idea was that ideality emergent from elementary production, i.e. the product as representation of the practices that produce it and those practices in which it may be an element in the means of productions (the instrument or subject of production), ideality in which an object is mobilized to represent social practices that have little or nothing to do with its production or its role in the productive process, and ideality as embodied in language and other complex symbolic forms are dialectically related in single dialectical schema. Recent readings in pre-human and proto-human signalling activity suggest another possibility: that language emerges out of a dialectical union between ideality emergent from elementary production (meaning) and its negation, information transmission through autonomic signalling systems. The idea that semantics (language meaning) may have its origins in non-linguistic activity is in fact implicit in the objectivist and materialist theory of the ideal and may help resolve one of the most elusive features of language, its meaning.

Highest regards,

Victor