RE: Response to Steve G on EVI and Bakhurst - The annotations

From: Eugene Matusov (ematusov@udel.edu)
Date: Sat May 15 2004 - 18:41:06 PDT

Dear Steve, Victor, and everybody-

In my view, that the opposition to ideality is death (the total absence of
any biases, goals, and subjectivity - returning into the purely material
world) while the opposition to meaningfulness is alienation. Using Russian
connotation of the word "alienation" (I do not know if English or other
languages have this connotation), I perceive "alienation" ("ot-chuzh-denie")
as if the activity is done by another other person - not by me. I am not me
who is acting. I, in the totality of my relationships with other people and
the world, cannot accept the activity and its ideality, I'm involved in.
Meaninglessness creates doubleness, I'm doubled (cf. Dostoevsky's story
"Double" analyzed by Bakhtin). Often, meaninglessness, alienation, is
produced by a conflict in a community/society (e.g., teaching for tests in
school). It is important to emphasize that meaninglessness is always a type
of ideality (alienated and conflicted ideality) and it is (alienated and
conflicted ideality) material as well. Meaninglessness is always relative
and subjective as well as objective. US companies some time destroy
overproduced goods so the prices do not drop too much while people in the
third world may die because of lack of these goods. Meaningless? Yes! But
for whom and for what? It is meaningless for me, in my totality of
relationships with other people and the world, to participate in this
activity because other people would suffer and labor is destroyed as a
result of this activity. But there are people in their totality of their
relationships with other people and the world who found this activity very
meaningful since it gives them profit and capital for further exploitation.

What do you think?

Eugene

  _____