Re: Creative cruelty and responsibility: Photos from Iraq

From: Oudeyis (victor@kfar-hanassi.org.il)
Date: Fri May 07 2004 - 03:01:25 PDT

Gene,
Better late than never.
Those grins that we seen in those pictures do not communicate to me, "fun." They are the kinds of silly expressions, I think they're called silly grins; grins that are produced by the extreme embarrassment at being caught doing something that "everyone knows" is immoral and more often than not, "stupid in the extreme." You see these exaggerated vacuous expressions in pictures of participants in Lynchings and on the faces of casual executioners (if you can stomach it, look more closely at those pictures, Gene) showing off the fruits of their labour. The New Yorker photographs appear to me to show clumsy and markedly amateurish efforts of inexperienced and unimaginative young soldiers to "soften and break" prisoners destined for interrrogation. Like the Stanford prison experiment this is just the kind of activity that might develop - see my earlier messages - when a small, socially and culturally isolated group (such as a unit of prison guards on night duty or a military unit assigned to "special" prison duty)is intentionally or through negligence allowed to grow wild. It's still not clear whether Brigadier Karpinski and the immediate commanders of this unit are guilty of negligence or with collusion with intelligence officers, CIA operatives, and even "private contractors," but their abandonment of these lower ranks to the warped products of the unrestrained dynamics of unit solidarity is no less, and in my view more serious, than the criminal acts of the soldiers themselves.

One of the justifications for the military hierarchy of authority is the inherent difficulties of internal supervision of the natural development of "strange" practices that plague isolated military units in alien and often threatening circumstances. The military concept of honor, so alien to civilian society, is also closely related to this problem. The supervisor of a military unit on duty; officer, noncom or in some cases a civilian authority, is expected - at least in a tolerably well-organized military institution (somewhat of a non-sequitor)- to keep the unit "on track" or, in other words, in conformity with the operational and norms of the institution and with the normative relations between the military institution and the civilian society which it serves. The tools he uses for this end are effective display and use of objects embodying higher authority, recognition of practices inconsistent with the operational and normal expectations of higher authorities, and sufficient familiarity with the practices and organization - in particular or in general - that enable him to realize the norms of higher authority in the activities of the unit. The military concept of honor is, at its best, a matter of the supervisor's own commitment to the values and mores expected from soldiers by those he serves. Incidentally, serious contraventions of normative military practice such as that seen in Iraq, should be regarded as a serious case of declining morale, and should alert both American citizens and their leadership to serious defects in their military organization. It's the growth and spread of these kinds of "wild units" that helped to bring about the disintegration of military authority in the American expeditionary force in Vietnam and the Red Army in Afghanistan.

The moral highground in war is narrow and not very high, and there are tremendous temptations for using "pragmatic measures" without too much concern for their eventual consequences for operations and for the morale of the force. Military and civilian authorities alike are more often then not subject to tunnel vision, to ignorant self interest (often a cause for tunnel vision) and to irresponsible unfamiliarity with the conditions facing them, i.e. they are like most people locked into social systems - including ostensibly military organizations - that are not particularly adapted to the demands and stresses of war. A philosopher of war and military activity, I think it was Alfred Vagts (1967) The History of Militarism Free Press; Revised edition, contrasted the practice of militarism, the systems which overvalue the military virtues, glorify war, or give inordinate power or rewards to soldiers with the practice of war and showed just how inadequate the system of values and practices of militarism are for the effective execution of war. In the '60s I found it an especially penetrating tool for comparing the US army with the Viet cong and the North Vietnamese forces and extremely useful for mapping the decline and failure of the American mission in Vietnam. Recent events in Iraq indicate that the American's have learned nothing from the Vietnam experience and have gone off on another adventure, expecting that their overwhelming technological advantage will pull their chestnuts out of the fire. It just goes to show just how important it is that we address ourselves to the problems of war; military practiceand organization, the social dynamics of war and , and militarism with the same sense of urgency and overwhelming concern that we devote to business enterprise and to civil administration and politics.

Highest regards,
Victor