Re: from Michael Glassman: RE: Illynekov's concept of the ideal

From: Oudeyis (victor@kfar-hanassi.org.il)
Date: Fri May 07 2004 - 00:09:23 PDT

Michael,
Found your diatribe somewhat confusing and S. Pepper is - or rather was - a total blank for me. So I did a bit of web crawling and found a site (SUNY Buffalo) devoted just to Pepper. http://www.sunyit.edu/~harrell/Pepper/Index.htm#top
He's interesting - I more or less agree with your assessment that Pepper is to Dewey and Mead as Ilyenkov is to Marx and Lenin. I'm now trying to figure out where to locate Rorty. The parallels in ideas and in dialogic relation to their precursors of both Pepper and Ilyenkov gives some truth to Newman and Holzman's ("Chapter 3: Practice - Vygotsky's tool-and-result methodology and psychology," from their book Lev Vygotsky Revolutionary Scientist ) brash assertion that there are only two philosophies that effectively address modern conditions: Pragmatism and Historical Materialism. I suspect that their choice of philosophies, and my predisposition to agree with them has more to do with the cultural-historical intellectual concerns that characterize American and Russian civilizations as contrasted say to those of our British, French and German counterparts than it does to any universal measure of relevance. Well, so be it.

 I still don't understand much of your diatribe, particularly your description of Hegel's works. I recognize the terms and here and there I find some familiar formulations but the whole picture you've presented doesn't gell. Anyway, many thanks for the references to Pepper.

Highest regards,
Victor