Re: Does no one read [between] Vygotsky's words?

From: Ana (ana@zmajcenter.org)
Date: Wed May 05 2004 - 22:00:27 PDT

Dear Eliza,
Your story is very touching. Sometimes the critical situation like a war
battle brings the "best" and the most noble in people. Sometimes it is
the opposite. However, war is traumatic regardless of which side of you
it brought out. Without denigrating any soldier who was put into a
situation to defend their own people, I think that the real task in
resolving issues is on the politicians and diplomats. Once it comes to
the situation we call "war", where people start killing other people,
the humanity is already half lost. The tragedy for the ordinary soldiers
on all sides is that they all have to believe that their cause is the
just cause and that they are doing what they are doing to defend their
people from some evil. If they don't believe that, they are either
psychopaths or criminals who kill for money. If they do, they are just
the marionettes in the hands of the higher powers who direct them.
Unfortunately the past century (and centuries) have been so cruel, so
many wars have annihilated so many people, wounded others, and left
traumas in even more of us, that it is possible to accept war as an
event through which one has to live and do one's best to survive and
remain noble. To me, war is a disintegration of a civil society, caused
by irresponsible, criminal, ignorant, greedy, etc. individuals in
positions of power they could use to prevent any violence long before it
comes to its eruption. However, once it comes to that that you have to
be a "Simcha" -- you have nothing else left but your own body and
consciousness. And those who really caused a war (on all sides) have
already deserted all the Simchas, and had long before ran away with all
the spoils.

Someone said that we ought to use our theoretical understanding and
teaching to understand the activity of war. I agree!! We should -- we
should find the objects/objectives that can drive anyone into such a
destruction and self destruction, we should examine the "relaxation" of
the otherwise very strict laws and legislature, the development of
double and multiple standards in "handling" people, development of
concepts that perpetrate violence, and manufacturing (and selling) the
tools of destruction.

Ana