RE: Creative cruelty and responsibility: Photos from Iraq

From: Eugene Matusov (ematusov@UDel.Edu)
Date: Mon May 03 2004 - 16:54:47 PDT

Dear Phillip-

Thanks a lot for sending info about lynching photos. I did not know about
those photos. Can you direct me to the link if possible, please? Do you know
if white people use lynching to make jokes and have fun as on US photos?
Those feature seem to be pretty unique but I can be wrong....

I was thinking how much the Geneva Convention shaped the US photos of
humiliation of Iraqi POWs. It is pure speculation but it is plausible (based
on the recent media reports that I sent to you) that US prison guards were
asked by intelligence officers to "soften up" the Iraqi prisoners before
interrogations without "violations" of the Geneva Convention. This means
without beating and leaving any signs on the body of physical torture. These
"guidelines" would leave pretty much to the use of electrical shock and
humiliation - what we saw on the photos. The use of electrical shock can be
risky because it can leave signs on the body. "Creative" humiliation without
use of physical violence (by aiming at production of physical pain) can
easily to be reduced to "making good laugh" through sexual "plays" with
bodies of the Iraqi POWs (especially in the context of a Muslim culture). If
my speculation is correct, the Geneva Convention is indirectly shaped the US
soldier's humiliation of the Iraqi POWs. However, of course, the
responsibility for this is on those who requested the prison guards to
"soften up" the prisoners and on the prisoners themselves and not on the
Geneva Convention that was violated.

What do you think?

Eugene

WHERE?
> -- embedded in a broader political arena, in countries outside Iraq.
>
> and Eugene responded:
>
> Probably, it works like testing in education. It is well known that
testing
> is not reliable as the assessment of students' knowledge and/or learning
but
> it is easily achievable. At the end of the day, testing - whether reliable
> or not - produces sorting that serves for the purpose of stratification.
The
> "pressured" interrogations produce information that can be later analyzed
> and (mis)used by military and politicians.
>
> I agree, Eugene - when I read Judy's observation it confirmed my
own thoughts from
> past readings in either Harper's or the Atlantic, that torture is
ineffective and the information