RE: Ilyenkov's concept of the ideal

From: Eugene Matusov (ematusov@UDel.Edu)
Date: Mon May 03 2004 - 12:36:41 PDT

Dear Steve-

Thanks A LOT for taking your time and helping all of us with the issue! It
is SO helpful! I think Victor and you should develop a paper (or two papers
in dialogic relation with each other) for MCA about Il'enkov and his notion
of "the ideal" and how it can used in psychology/education.

I have unpacked boxes with my notes from my "previous life" (in the USSR).
One of these boxes has notes on Il'enkov's 1962 article (Steve, thanks, for
the correction of the year). I wish I could access it..

Steve wrote,

"However, as Bakhurst and others argue, and with whom I agree, Ilyenkov's
concept of the ideal is a needed continuation and expansion of dialectical
materialism and is consistent with the methods and philosophy of Marx and
Engels. In my opinion, following Vygotsky, this extension of dialectical
materialism helps lay the basis for a "Marxist" or a cultural-historical
psychology."

Can you elaborate about what problems do you see in Il'enkov's concept of
the ideal and what suggestions you see to address these problems, please?

Thanks,

Eugene

  _____