Re: dualisms

From: Peter Smagorinsky (smago@coe.uga.edu)
Date: Tue Apr 27 2004 - 08:45:30 PDT

For a class I'm teaching we read Nystrand, Greene, & Weimelt (1993), Where
did Composition Studies Come From: An Intellectual History. Written
Communication, 10(3), 267-333. It includes the following:

We recognize a basic irony in our use of such categories to characterize
the evolving schools of thought that have constituted the field, despite
our contention that much is to be lost when we begin to see these as
historically isolated, fixed "entities," rather than as related
tendencies. Yet as Knoblauch (1988) points out, the stipulation of
"difference" among competing classes is the fundamental ground of dialectic
inquiry. In other words, what might be regarded as "the trap of
oppositional thinking" is also the very quality of dialectic that moves us
toward enriched understandings and interpretive resolutions. (pp. 273-4)

I found my reading of this to be propitious because, like (I think) Don, I
try to avoid dichotomies and binaries in my own thinking and writing, yet
find myself parsing ideas categorically. Nystrand's observation regarding
dialectic inquiry helps me see the value of such categorizations when they
are used to promote synthesis rather than to divide the world into
polarities (which perhaps I've just done).

Peter