from kris

From: Mike Cole (mcole@weber.ucsd.edu)
Date: Sun Mar 28 2004 - 20:02:16 PST

In a note to me, Kris made a brief comment about notes so far, which she
has been reading with what she claims is great interest. :-) Despite feeling
sub-par, she said the following might be forwarded to xmca.
mike

I often think the term script that I
used was unfortunate cuz it invokes a lot of unintended things. It relates
to my work on classroom discourse in which I identified patterns of
discourse that were prevalent across the tons of classrooms I have studied.
They were the ubiquitous recitation patterns; I call it a script as it has
certain properties. I also identified two other discourse patterns I called
responsive and responsive/collaborative. But what was most important is
that none of these scripts is monolithic and there is a range of what counts
as each. I actually developed a classroom protocol instrument that has been
fairly good as a gloss for determining the social organization of learning
=-the discourse pattern in particular. But I don't know if this stuff is
useful at all to the discussion.

Part of the work was an attempt to document empirically what one really
means by recitation (beyond the IRE), etc. I try to resist broad
generalizations that recitation is bad and other scripts are good as it
depends on a range of things. If one is to known the affordances and
constraints of these pedagogical spaces, I think you have to be specific
about what the discursive moves are.. Anyway, I post when more stuff is on.
But do keep me posted. Kris