mace is the source for gibson

From: Mike Cole (mcole@weber.ucsd.edu)
Date: Fri Mar 26 2004 - 13:04:31 PST

>From Kristen Clarke, exploring a small world! :-)
------------------
Hi Mike - I think I have the Gibson citation (not the page though) but
someone else attributes the quote to Mace.

Gibson, J. J. (1979). The ecological approach to visual perception. Boston:
Houghton Mifflin Company.

"The intelligence of learned associations of this sort lies in part outside
the animal's brain. It is not what is inside the head, but what the head is
inside of - to use William Mace's felicitous phrase - . . .the rationality
of the world . . ."

 Budiansky, Stephen. If A Lion Could Talk. New York: The Free Press, 1998,
27-28.