PBS Examines the Privatizing of Public Education

From: David H Kirshner (dkirsh@lsu.edu)
Date: Fri Mar 26 2004 - 09:54:30 PST

Of possible Interest:
David Kirshner
_______________________________________

     To Whom it May Concern,
     I am writing from NOW with Bill Moyers, the PBS public affairs series,
     to alert you an important story on the issue of privatizing public
     education, airing tomorrow night on PBS. In particular, NOW's report
     looks at how the Department of Education's discretionary spending
     budget
     has been tapped and funneled into a handful of organizations that are
     promoting school vouchers and examines these groups' intimate ties to
     the Bush administration.

     I hope that you can alert your members and organizational partners to
     this important report. Please let me know if you will be able to
spread
     the word about this important broadcast.

     Sincerely,
     Su Patel
     Director of Outreach
     NOW with Bill Moyers
     patels@thirteen.org

     NOW with Bill Moyers
     PBS Airdate: Friday, March 26, 2004 at 9 p.m. on PBS
     (check local listings at http://www.pbs.org/now/sched.html)

     Even though President Bush's controversial plan for taxpayer-funded
     vouchers to subsidize private and religious schools was killed in
     Congress, the Department of Education has filtered $77 million to
     private, conservative groups promoting the privatization of public
     education. As millions of children go without basic educational
needs,
     some critics are asking: shouldn't that money have gone to saving
     America's crumbling public schools? On Friday, March 26, 2004, NOW
     with
     Bill Moyers looks at how Department of Education's discretionary