RE: RE: cr&c

From: Carol Macdonald (macdonaldc@educ.wits.ac.za)
Date: Mon Mar 22 2004 - 23:01:35 PST

Sarah
I might be one step behind here. However, on a practically level, we have
been asking students to set goals for about 40-50 years now, and this
practice might have simply become a superficial routine, and a blunt tool
for thinking.
Carol

David,
When I wrote that shared goals imply consciousness, I was thinking of goals
as described by Wertsch (1979, 1981) in an activity system. Goals are what
give direction to an activity, and according to Wertsch, Marx argued that
the ability to set conscious goals is part of what makes us human. So I was
extrapolating from the level of activity to the level of culture in my
assumptions about the characteristics of a goal.
But perhaps the definition of "goal" needs to be expanded at the level of
culture. What do you see as some examples of "unconscious" goals in an
ideological, complex society?
--Sarah