Re: XMCA diagnostic test

From: Bill Barowy (wbarowy@attbi.com)
Date: Mon Mar 22 2004 - 10:02:33 PST

On Monday 22 March 2004 11:33 am, Bruce Jones wrote:
> What was the point of this? (Besides adding to my daily dose of
> spam).

Hi Bruce,

Please accept my apology for getting your attention in such an obnoxious way.
We have this recurring problem on xmca. The list server does not strip off
the "reply to" headers on postings, consequently (as well I imagine you can
see at this point) sometimes replies to postings are misdirected to the
"reply to" address rather than being directed to xmca. This happens when the
sender's email client has a "reply to" address that is something other than
blank. So this is one reason why people's postings sometimes don't go to
xmca and there is the appearance of "gremlins".

Three instances of this problem have occurred in the last 2-3 months. All
involve people who use M$ Outlook. I suspect that during account setup in
outlook the "reply to " address is filled in by default or misconfiguration,
but that's no matter.

It would solve this problem for everyone forever if the mailing list server
could be configured to strip off the headers. That way the people who are
just entering xmca and using outlook, or those who have just done an install
or upgrade of Outlook, won't get tripped up by this problem again.

bb