Re: Messages with virus attachments

From: Phil Chappell (phil_chappell@access.inet.co.th)
Date: Sat Mar 13 2004 - 20:26:09 PST

Thanks for the responses. As the messages started coming in greater
numbers quite suddenly, I wasn't sure if it was some problem specific
to me. Nate, I use anti-virus (Virex), but I'm not really that keen on
using Yahoo. As Bill mentions (I'm not up on the lingo), like linux
os's, mac is not a prime target, and I don't have any virus infections.
It's just the annoying thing of having these messages come through. I
have this neat "bounce" option in my mail software that allows me to
send the message back with a "address does not exist" message. Problem
is, the message isn't coming from the virus originator!

I remember some time ago Bill likened this "virus arms race" to the
Tragedy of the Commons (Hardin, 1968 - see link below). Reading that
article with computer virus creators in mind is certainly a valuable
hour spent. The contradictions and tensions in a free internet!

http://dieoff.com/page95.htm

Have a virus free day

Phil