Re: end of the International Women's Day week

From: Andy Blunden (ablunden@mira.net)
Date: Sat Mar 13 2004 - 17:12:29 PST

Interesting Mike. I'm sitting here reading an article by Nancy Fraser on
"dependency" and how this normal, honourable condition became stigmatised
and narrowed in its definition, now mostly attributed, according to Fraser,
to single, black mothers. One of the points she makes is how the term
originally referred to whole groups of people, not individuals, in respect
to social position, but in the 20th century entered "the
moral/psychological register" - the 'natives' were not dependent because
they had been conquered, they had been conquered because they were dependent.

Seems to have a parallel in the way patriarchy is cast in modernity?

Andy