RE: International Women's Day

From: Mike Cole (mcole@weber.ucsd.edu)
Date: Sun Mar 07 2004 - 15:48:17 PST

what would you say the main points are that stand out for you in the
Goody article, Sophie?

I would offer three which im/de-press me.

1. The phenomenon of male violence against females appears to qualify
as a human universal-- its found among many people in about every society
documented.

2. The victims adopt an ideology which allows them to treat such behavior
as acceptable.

3. The perpetrators are driven, very often, by fear/envy, itself wrapped
in ideology.

So, what, on Women's Day, 2004, can we/should we be doing differently to
take back that long, dark, night?
mike