Process of goal formation

From: Phil Chappell (phil_chappell@access.inet.co.th)
Date: Tue Feb 24 2004 - 02:32:24 PST

Hi All,

In "The problem of activity in psychology" (in James Wertsch's 1981
edited volume of Russian psychology), Leont'ev mentions experiments by
Hoppe that enabled emergent goal formation to be observed. Leont'ev
rather neatly summarises this subjective selection of the goal process
as "the conscious perception of the most immediate result to be
attained if the subject is to perform the activity that will satisfy
the motive".

Can anyone point me toward this work by Hoppe? I wonder what
methodology was used. I'm particularly interested in this in terms of
teaching/learning contexts where collaborative learning activity is
taking place.

Phil