RE: Question concerning Vygotsky

From: Peter Smagorinsky (smago@coe.uga.edu)
Date: Sun Feb 22 2004 - 06:01:17 PST

I don't know if this quite answers Eliza's question, but perhaps in a
related vein, Vera John-Steiner and Theresa Meehan (2000; in C. D. Lee & P.
Smagorinsky (Eds.), Vygotskian Perspectives on Literacy Research, Cambridge
U. Press) write:

Long continued collaboration between a more and a less experienced partner
may lead to the beginner's becoming imitative as a result of too much
internalization. The novice can resist that danger by keeping open to more
than one mentor or distant teacher. For many of us, Vygotsky is a distant
teacher, a scholar whose work evokes a special resonance in us, whose
writings we try again and again to understand and interpret. And although
his work has had a major influence upon our thinking, he may not be the
only one. Some in the sociocultural community (e.g., Ball, Wells, this
volume; Wertsch, 1991, 1997) have combined his work with that of Bakhtin.
Others have looked at connections with the American pragmatists. In
analyzing the impact of multiple mentors, Howard Gruber (1985) used Mozart