Re: Leont'ev-Vygotsky controversy

From: Vera P. John-Steiner (vygotsky@unm.edu)
Date: Tue Feb 17 2004 - 14:58:22 PST

Hi,
I do think the discussion is useful. If you think of CHAT as a
functional system, then some of us, particularly with strong interests
in language, literacy and mediation will focus more on the Vygotskian
lineage and others involved in organizational activities on the Leont'ev
lineage. I was just reading Gita V''s recollections, and certainly the
two families cared for each other--so we might be able to do the same,
focus on different aspects of the theory in our contemporary historical
context without necessarily emphasizing the differences only but some of
the complementarities as well. In analyzing an interdisciplinary team
with Michele Minnis, we find the Finnish work most relevant; in looking
at metaphors I used Vygotsky to a much greater extent,
Vera

--
Vera P. John-Steiner