RE: Leont'ev-Vygotsky controversy

From: Mike Cole (mcole@weber.ucsd.edu)
Date: Fri Feb 13 2004 - 15:03:19 PST

thanks carmen, ricardo, eugene.

Very interesting to link change in unit of analysis to problem of
combining natural and cultural lines of development. Many people today
believe that many basic categories are initially, some extensively, under
control of phylogeny, the natural line. I had never thought of the change
of units in that light before. Thanks.

Eugene and Ricardo -- Thanks for sources of the idea of Leontiev being
an advancer of activity theory. Any non-Soviet sources? It seems we have
some branches to follow:

1. Leontiev dropped idea of mediation and replaced it by activity and this
was the big advance.
2. Leontiev integrated idea of mediation and activity and this was the big
advance.
3. Vygotsky ignored activity which was invented by Rubenshtein and Leontiev,
so that is the big advance.

4........

mike