RE: Leont'ev-Vygotsky controversy

From: Eugene Matusov (ematusov@udel.edu)
Date: Fri Feb 13 2004 - 11:33:30 PST

Dear Mike-

Pavlov won Nobel Prize and Stalin Prize (I believe). Since 1930s up to 1980s
(I do not know the situation now), Pavlov was a part of every Soviet school
curriculum but Rubenshtein was not. Also, as you pointed out, after early
1930s you had to furnish yourself in Pavlovian language to speak psychology.
It was the language of Stalinist psychology of "engineers of human souls"
that were aimed to produce a new species "Homo Soveticus". Soviet Gulag was
somewhat inspired by Pavlov's Tower of Silence where he made his experiments
on poor dogs...

But, it reminds me a dispute of who is stronger: a boxer or a karate
fighter... :-)

> I am glad you are so optimistic about democracy in the United States.

Of course, we, immigrants (i.e., "vulnerary minorities" using Ogbu's term),
have to be optimistic. We can't afford pessimism. Where would we go next?!

Take care,

Eugene