Re: Leont'ev-Vygotsky controversy

From: Peter Smagorinsky (smago@coe.uga.edu)
Date: Fri Feb 13 2004 - 10:58:59 PST

I think that anyone claiming to be an activity theorist (as I've done in
the past) at least implies that activity theory has superceded Vygotsky's
original formulations. I'm now a defrocked activity theorist (as
determined by external reviews of my manuscripts) so am not sure exactly
where I stand on this now.

Wertsch, e.g., has said that he has replaced Vygotsky's word meaning as the
unit of analysis for psychological research with goal-directed,
tool-mediated action in social context. To me, that suggests that he
believes this to be an advance. BUT WHAT DO YOU THINK??