RE: Motives and goals: Leont'ev and Axel

From: Carol Macdonald (macdonaldc@educ.wits.ac.za)
Date: Fri Feb 06 2004 - 02:50:37 PST

Hi Ricardo
I come from Michael Cole's stable (as well as work with local colleagues);
when Vygotsky's work fell into political disrepute (because some people were
more equal than others), then the activity theorists "took over", and
largely displaced the focus on cultural tools (mediational means) as
semiotic (specifically language) as creating consciousness, and focused on
the cultural artifact (tools) as creating consciousness, and thus AT was
developed. My reading is that because LSV's work was largely programmatic,
it has taken some different turns; one is to education, where it has
softened in (what I consider unacceptable) theoretical ways e.g. the
hijacking of the ZPD. The new generation of sociocultural theorists such as
Lave I haven't followed, because of my interest in formal schooling.
Activity theory ( e.g. Engestrom's work) lends itself beautifully to work
in systemic educational evaluation.

So much for my simplistic antipodean analysis: the question remains, when
does one theory shade into another and then become a different object. Jim
Wertsch might be the person to ask about this. My own proclivity is to try
to keep them apart, and then develop them from within, but perhaps that is
not what others would do.

Carol