RE: Motives and goals: Leont'ev and Axel

From: Peter Smagorinsky (smago@coe.uga.edu)
Date: Wed Feb 04 2004 - 03:19:17 PST

My own understanding of motive has always been much broader than what I see
Leont'ev, Axel, and Eugene arguing. I'll paste in something I coauthored a
few years ago in Grossman, P. L., Smagorinsky, P., & Valencia, S. (1999).
Appropriating tools for teaching English: A theoretical framework for
research on learning to teach. American Journal of Education, 108(1), 1-29.

Motive. Activity settings encourage particular social practices that
presumably participants will come to see as worthwhile means to a better
future. Activity settings provide constraints and affordances that channel,
limit, and support learners' efforts to adopt the prevailing social
practices. In this sense a constraint is a positive set of limitations that
provide the structure for productive activity (Valsiner, 1998). Central to
an activity setting is the motive or outcome implicit in the
setting. Wertsch (1985) maintains that "the motive that is involved in a
particular activity setting specifies what is to be maximized in that
setting. By maximizing one goal, one set of behaviors, and the like over
others, the motive also determines what will be given up if need be in
order to accomplish something else" (p. 212). This motive provides a
setting with a sense of purpose that implies a code of suitable conduct.
An activity setting has a cultural history through which community members
have established specific outcomes that guide action within the
setting. The condition of having a cultural history requires that a
setting involve, in the words of Sarason's (1972), "two or more people
com[ing] together in new relationships over a sustained period of time in
order to achieve certain goals" (p. 1). Sarason, who is interested in the
creation of new settings, foregrounds the ways in which people conceive
practices and artifacts designed to sustain their relationships. Wertsch
(1985), in contrast, focuses more on how existing practices and artifacts
constrain and afford new action, saying that "an activity setting guides
the selection of actions and the operational composition of actions, and it
determines the functional significance of these actions" (p. 212). Their
different focuses aside, both regard the condition of sustained
relationships as central to an activity setting. These relationships are
mediated by tools and artifacts for which participants develop over time a
general agreement over purposes and meaning. Without widespread agreement
on the motive and mediational means, a setting could not exist. Central,
then, to the existence of an activity setting is the condition that action
within settings is goal-oriented and that a set of practices and artifacts
exists to mediate development toward those goals.
Consensus on an overriding motive, however, is problematic. Multiple and
competing desired outcomes often coexist within an activity setting, though
typically some predominate. The overriding motive for a setting, then,
while not specifying the actions that take place, provides channels that
encourage and discourage particular ways of thinking and acting. For
example, student teaching, as an activity setting, has diverse and
sometimes rival goals. From one perspective, student teaching is an
opportunity to experiment, to try out practices in a supportive environment
(e.g., Dewey, 1904). On the other hand, student teaching is also a
high-stakes demonstration of one's competence as a teacher, successful
completion of which is pre-requisite to graduation or certification. The
first purpose, experimentation and learning, might have encouraged Frank to
try out the writing workshop approach he had learned in his methods
class. However, the classroom management problems he quickly encountered
detracted from the second goal: that of demonstrating his competence.