RE: [UD-PIG] Cellphone literature

From: Eugene Matusov (ematusov@udel.edu)
Date: Tue Feb 03 2004 - 07:05:04 PST

Dear Martin—

Thanks A LOT for your message because you help to break my inarticulateness.
It is difficult to explain for me because I only observed this phenomenon
peripherally. I remember seating in café in Pretoria with a South African
friend when I got a sms from another SA friend. I wanted to reply but I
couldn’t. My mind did not work with sms. So I ended up giving my cellular
phone to my friend and dictated her a message that she translated into sms.
By translation, I mean changing my messages to make it very-very short (in
terms of number of words), playful, and abbreviated. It was a different
genre or writing (and reading) that I couldn’t handle. It has certain
conventions and even certain syntax. It has its own dialogicity that is not
present in email exchanges. Again, I wish I could give examples but I can’t
because my memory is not structured that way.

Martin, if you write sms in English, can you provide an example of a
“typical sms conversation” please? Without examples of the sms discourse, it
is difficult to grasp the phenomenon. The closest discourse to sms I found
on Russian warez forum. For those of you who reads Russian, read this
“G-chik, PLZ sleite etu 100 m sabzh mne na mylo” which means in conventional
Russian “Gospodin, pozhaluysta soobzite mne cherez moy email kak I mogy
dostat’ etu 100MB programu”. It took months for me to begin understanding
this discourse (I still can’t write like that!).

Thanks,

Eugene

  _____