literacy effects

From: Mike Cole (mcole@weber.ucsd.edu)
Date: Tue Feb 03 2004 - 06:44:18 PST

I have senior moments 24 hours a day, Carol.
>From the notes I have seen so far concerning cell phone literacy, its
junior moments that might be more relevant here. That is, if you take
the Scribner and Cole work as providing a more general set of ideas for
how to consider the way in which (various) kinds of literacy (in this
case, all involving mediation of action via graphic representations of
language), it should provide a leg up on answering a question such as
"how does cell phone literacy (is it texting, or sms?) constitute new
ways of thinking/being?

A recent story in a local paper tells of a high school girl who wrote a
term paper in txtng genre. From the story, that was her repetoire for
written communication. An effect of cell phone literacy?

mike