RE: Motives and goals

From: Eugene Matusov (ematusov@udel.edu)
Date: Mon Feb 02 2004 - 12:16:42 PST

Dear Jayson and everybody-

I like the issues that Jason raised. I agree with Jayson that it is not the
issue that some students "have motivation" and some does not. Using Ray
McDermott's terminology, institutions set motives to acquire people (e.g.,
motives to study for grades, motives to study for learning, motives to f***
the studies - pardon my strong language but I do not know how to express it
better in English). People can transform, transcend, reject, and/or
participate in the institutional motives (it is not their "choice" but
rather possibilities). I think we need to study how institutions set the
motives in their structural and dynamic ways of organizing practices and
relations and what cultural tools are available for the participants to deal
with institutional motives. I agree with Jayson that Lave's notion of
legitimacy can be helpful for that. I think Foucault's genealogical analysis
of institutional motives can be helpful as well. But even a simple
ethnography documenting institutional motives can be helpful.

What do you think?

Eugene

  _____