RE: Culture of honour

From: Jay Lemke (jaylemke@umich.edu)
Date: Mon Jan 12 2004 - 18:54:55 PST

Jeeeeez ... and this is what passes for reason today? A few fanatics who
can kill thousands here and there is more dangerous than the people who
made the holocaust, or who might have partnered with us in exterminating
most life forms on this planet?

I feel a lot more certain danger from the political nazis who exaggerate
terrorism as an excuse for curtailing the liberties of their potential
(domestic, nonviolent) opponents. If trust is being squeezed out of US
society, it's being done by _us_, not by the terrorists. I lived in New
York for the year or two after 9-11. The hysteria was entirely generated by
the media and the politicians, at least after the first few weeks of shock.
It seemed as if every time people were about ready to start feeling OK
again, some just-in-time new "scare" appeared in the media ... and none of
them were real.

So the reason these people hate us is ... totally irrational? Not something
we ought to try to pay any attention to? They're not the only ones who
hate us, just the only ones desperate enough to do something about it.
Terrorism is not a form of madness. It is an extreme, and deliberate,
response to intolerable injustice. They don't hate us for being christian,
or even for having somewhat morally lax lifestyles. And they're going to go
on hating us until we take a really good hard look at ourselves ... and at
what our powerbrokers have done in our name for decades and centuries.

Who exactly is missing the inhibitions of shame ... someone willing to give
their life to strike out against their real and powerful oppressors ... or
someone who is ready to lie his country into an unjust war? Someone who
kills the innocent, thinking them guilty ... or someone who kills the
"guilty", knowing them innocent?

At this point I think I'd prefer emotion to such a masquerade of reason.

JAY.

Jay Lemke
Professor
University of Michigan