Re: emotions/origins

From: Oudeyis (victor@kfar-hanassi.org.il)
Date: Fri Jan 09 2004 - 14:34:06 PST

Jay has made some important points;

a."One of D'Amasio's poignant ironies is his evidence, from neurological
dysfunction studies, that emotions are necessary to reasoning itself (the
 capacity to feel emotions, neurologically, seems identical to the capacity
to have value preferences, and so make choices at the branch points of
 possible chains of reasoning)."
Perhaps 30 - 35 years of living with"emotional" Mediterraneans has corrupted
my intellectual "cool" but it's impossible for me to regard any activity
that is emotionally neutral. Problem solving and intellectual creativity
are about choices, choosing is about evaluating alternatives, and evaluation
involves all the so-called parts of the individual. While there is much
value in restraining some of the extraneous effects of strong emotion in
favor of guiding attention to the issues to be treated, emotion is the
necessary motor for pushing the activity forward to its conclusion.

b."The denial of the importance of affective dimensions of life seems so
deeply rooted in middle-class and academic (esp. culturally north european
and descended therefrom) culture that we are left with very little in the
way of good analytical or explanatory discourses about emotions, feelings,
affect, etc.
...and the closely related issue:
This is also a gendered disjunction in our/my culture. Emotion has been
denigrated as part of its association with women, children, the imagined
 working class, the imagined south-european and culturally Other ... as part
of the discourse of justification for political domination by "rational"
 adult males of politically dominant groups and castes."
 It appears that somehow the Northern European (esp. "Anglo-Saxon")
intelligensia learned to confuse emotional restraint with total emotional
neutrality. Actually, this is somewhat "false consciousness;" push a N.
American teacher or professor hard enough and he'll explode - often badly
since he's never learned measured emotional expression (a technique we used
to use to delegitimize University staff in the student actions of the '60s).
There is no necessary relation between emotional expression and intellectual
dialogue. For example, Jewish Rabbinical debate is expected to be noisy,
excitable, and may even involve expressions of physical threats to one's
interlocutor. Not infrequently argumentative scholars can be seen shouting
and waving their hands about with only centimeters between their respective
noses. The rule here is that argument without feeling is argument without
serious purpose and the key restriction on expression is that no one touches
the other. And, I cannot think of a more intellectual community than that
of a gang of Jewish Rabbis. In fact, this kind of dialogue practice is very
characteristic of most Mediterranean cultures; Spanish, Italian, Greek, and
of course of the whole Middle east at all status levels.

 and I would add a third:
c. The strictly subjective states of the individual - whatever they may
be - is a subject for medical biology, it is their expression
(objectification) and, even more important, their social impact, that is of
interest to me as both researcher and activist. These issues must be dealt
with by social theories that can explain relations between experience,
subjective efforts to understand world conditions and finally the
transformation of material world conditions through objectification.
Regards,
Victor