Re: emotions/origins

From: Andy Blunden (ablunden@mira.net)
Date: Wed Jan 07 2004 - 20:16:22 PST

Thanks Mike.
It seems to me that emotions are like smells and music. We have a small
range of basic senses and their gradations which can be mixed and moved
between and perfumes or pieces of music play with these senses together
with the cognitive structures we associate with them, and it is these
latter which are most clearly culturally and historically constructed. I
think it unlikely that the basic sense/perceptions are variable (cf
Vygotsky on the hearing of the blind etc).

One thing that interests me is that according to Scheff the shame family of
emotions is not only present in the animal-person as a biochemical affect,
but it is a specifically social sense, representing the threatened loss of
a social bond. C.f. grief the feeling of actual loss of a social bond and
anger the feeling of physical threat. He mentions disgust, love and joy as
apparently different complexes (or families) or emotions with their own
biochemical bases and cultural stimuli. Your reports, to me, confirm that
there is a basic set like this in the new born.

The way he explains shame/honour is totally congruent with Hegel's
conception of self-consciousness: it is the feeling of imagined or imputed
perception in the other.

Andy :)