Re: Culture of honour

From: Hans Knutagrd (hans.knutagard@ynic-scc.com)
Date: Tue Jan 06 2004 - 13:51:53 PST

Thanks Peter and also David and Mike for leading me to Nisbett. I will get
that text.

Most families in Sweden who use violence towards their children out of
culture of honour context are from Islamic countries. By mentioning the
South I wanted to look for some common things which could appear as well in
some group of Swedes as groups in Germany, Spain or Italy.

I am still very uncertain about how culture and creation of culture is
defined in CHAT. Vygotskijs and Lurias field experience show that many
cultures can exist at the same place at the same time together. So the
culture of honour can exist among us today. But is a culture able to exist
without nourishment? Can the culture still pick up historical nourishment or
is it like Hanks writes in the foreword to Lave and Wenger that "even in
cases where a fixed doctrine is transmitted, the ability of a community to
reproduce itself through the training process derives not from the doctrine,
but from the maintenance of certain modes of coparticipation in which it is
embedded." That should mean that it is not so much the "honour" that are
transmitted but the way of living and thinking and acting? So where can I
get help in this creation and transmitting culture in CHAT?

Hans in a white Malmö, covered in snow for the moment.