RE: real and virtual worlds: third space

From: Eugene Matusov (ematusov@udel.edu)
Date: Sun Jan 04 2004 - 18:51:08 PST

I want to thank Iraj again for wonderful references and quote David Butz's
article "Resistance, Representation, and the Third Space.."
http://216.239.57.104/search?q=cache:rfCvdLR-owgJ:www.acme-journal.org/vol1/
butz.pdf+%22third+space%22
<http://216.239.57.104/search?q=cache:rfCvdLR-owgJ:www.acme-journal.org/vol1
/butz.pdf+%22third+space%22&hl=en&ie=UTF-8> &hl=en&ie=UTF-8 defining The
Third Space (see below).

Eugene

Resistance as Third Space

It was Bhabha - again - who gave us, embedded in his larger discussion of
hybridity, a vague link between resistance and a concept of third space:
"The process of cultural hybridity gives rise to something different,
something new and unrecognisable, a new area of negotiation of meaning and
representation" (1990, 211). Third space is "that productive space of the
construction of culture as difference, in the spirit of alterity or
otherness" (1990, 209). Pile (1994) builds from Bhabha to imagine third
space as an epistemological terrain for interrogating those foundational
dualisms which he thinks

underpin the social constitution and policing of rigidly bounded cultural
identities (e.g. man/woman, rational/irrational, white/non-white). Still
understanding third space in a largely, although not entirely, metaphorical
sense, Pile suggests that this space is "continually fragmented, fractured,
incomplete, uncertain, and the site of struggles for meaning and
representation" (1994, 273). He uses the concept heuristically to illuminate
the "grounds of dissimilarity" on which dualisms are constructed, and to
demonstrate that there are spaces beyond dualisms (Pile 1994, 273; see also
Law 1997, 109). The third

space is thus "a location for knowledge" (Law 1997, 109), which identifies
the "social construction of dualisms as part of the problem" by "recognising
places beyond the grounds of dissimilarity... collectively named the third
space" (Pile 1994, 264; see also Law 1997, 109). So, third spaces are places
beyond the grounds of dissimilarity; places where dualisms are elaborated
and broken down.

My objective in Shimshal is to describe actual third spaces, the
characteristics of which allow fixed identities - of spaces or human
subjects - based on normalizing dualisms, to be challenged. And I want to
assert boldly what remains largely implied in Pile and Bhabha: that the
deliberate construction of third spaces is a strategy particularly amenable
to the circumstances of the radically disempowered - those condemned by
their location in a field of power to struggle, not to win definitively, but
simply to fight another day. If the third space is a space of "ambivalence
and not fixity of the construction of identity," continually "fragmented,
fractured, incomplete, uncertain" (Law 1997, 110 & 109), then it is also
perhaps a space commensurate with what Foucault would call agonism, and
which he describes as a lifestyle of continuous and opportunistic
resistance, focused on chances to exploit the ambiguities of power, to
disrupt dualisms, to "pursue games of power ... played with a minimum of
domination" (Simons 1995, 86). This suggests that the characteristics of
actual third spaces may be most amenable to what we might term off-kilter,
rather than directly oppositional, forms of resistance: those which are
directed at an angle to specific exercises of power (see Butz & Ripmeester
1999). The ambiguous nature of third spaces may allow resistance to
construct or utilise discursive terrain beyond dualisms. At the same time,
however, I think a third space sensibility can allow the radically
disempowered discursively to reconstruct actual spaces in ways that allow
them to engage more productively in directly oppositional resistance.

  _____