RE: real and virtual worlds: third space

From: Eugene Matusov (ematusov@udel.edu)
Date: Sun Jan 04 2004 - 17:45:50 PST

Thanks, Iraj, for the message and references. I really like the following
quote from

"While I am persuaded that it is important to recognise, and legitimise,
certain

subaltern practices as resistance, this surely needs to be done without
relying on the figure

of an autonomous subject who operates against, but outside, the field of
domination.

Neither, I think, can we rely on a belief in practices or spaces of
resistance that are not also

practices or spaces of accommodation to power. Foucault expresses this
concisely, in the

well-known dictum that "where there is power, there is resistance, and yet,
or rather

consequently, this resistance is never in a position of exteriority in
relation to power"

(Foucault 1978, 95). This is not to say, however, that discourses of
resistance or subaltern

subjectivities are "only a reaction or rebound... that is, in the end,
always passive, doomed

to perpetual defeat" (Foucault 1978, 96). Rather, Foucault is optimistic
that "there must

always be points of insubordination at which it is possible not to escape
power per se, but

to escape the particular strategy of power relation that directs one's
conduct" (Simons

1995, 85)."

I think that accommodation to power besides fantasy projection into power
can be responsible for "false consciousness".

What do you think?

Eugene

  _____