different genres

From: Mike Cole (mcole@weber.ucsd.edu)
Date: Sat Dec 27 2003 - 10:27:40 PST

In the course of research for a handbook chapter I realized that two of
my favorite articles on socio-cultural- activity theory (oops, that almost
spells "SCAT", i believe) are by Ernst Boesch and they are both available
in our newsletter archives. The first is a pure thought experiment. A fictional
narrative, but one with deep methodological implications: " 7 flaws in
cross cultural psychology" (roughly) is the narrative of a young, female,
cross-cultural psychologist who goes of to nail down a plausible CAUSAL
"factor" where culture shapes the psyche. The second is a different kind
of narrative -- the narrative history of the dialectical procesess of
exchange between the "culturally interpreted" material resource of making
sound and people's ideal image ("culturally interpreted") also mental
in the form of artifacts.

Two excellent examples here of the use of NARRATIVES as a source
of DATA, and generation of new THEORIES.

Check it out.
mike
15
AND THEORY