RE: false consciousness: real and virtual worlds

From: Andy Blunden (ablunden@mira.net)
Date: Thu Dec 25 2003 - 19:32:31 PST

Certainly insofar as we can deem Marx to have been the originator of the
idea of "false consciousness" then very much it was with the idea that
"false consciousness" was functional, in terms of what I call "real
illusions", e.g., that money has value. The believe otherwise, a person has
to "step out of their own times" so to speak.

I agree very much with most of Jaye's comments. Only I think it is very
much the day-to-day person-to-person experiences in a society which are the
basis of people's "theories of society". Of course people learn
"scientific" or abstract theories from sources remote from their personal
experience. But then the issue is to fill out these abstractions from
personal experience. Today, those day-to-day experiences are buying and
selling everything from personal security to dinner to sex. This
buying-and-selling relation is a particular kind of relation, and one which
underlays the abstract theories of history taught in Universities or via
the TV.

Andy