Re: false consciousness: real and virtual worlds

From: Ana Marjanovic-Shane (anamshane@speakeasy.net)
Date: Thu Dec 25 2003 - 15:48:38 PST

Dear Eugene and all,

In case of Schwartzenegger, I think that the reason people voted for
him is in the association of the perception of his physical image
(appearance, voice) with the various heroic characters he played as an
actor. In this case the sensory experience which received its meaning
and significance elsewhere, overrode the "virtual" or "ideational"
aspect of the person's political reality.

It is like in the following true story I heard from my sister-in-law:
A woman in her office said that she was going to vote for Reagan (in his
second term election). My sister-in-law asked her a series of questions
regarding Reagan's policies: "Do you agree with his economic measures?
Environmental measures? His stand on family? His plan for taxes? etc."
The woman answered NO to each one of these questions. My sister-in-law
asked her then: "So, why do you want to vote for Reagan? You don't agree
with anything he stands for or he does?"
The answer:
"He is so charming!"

I think that in this case, it is not the consciousness, either "true" or
"false" that determines the behavior of the California (or any other)
voter, but instead, it is a direct subconscious experience of emotional
appeal. This experience is a result of previously experienced
"realities" and/or "fantasies" -- which are not relevant in the context
at hand, but, the emotional connections were made. They (emotional
connections) are irrational and inexplicable from the point of view of
the immediate plane of "reality" -- or within the conceptual system that
should be used, or even IS used to understand the actual political facts
and predict their consequences. That is exactly the way every good
advertisement works: it invokes irrational, inexplicable feelings of
appeal which are stronger determinants of behavior than consciousness.

So, I think that to answer the question of the "falsity" of
consciousness is not always in its virtual/ideational aspect, but in its
direct, sensual, emotional quality. The irony is that this directness
is a matter of a construction itself, but this construction follows
different rules and takes place in different times and different virtual
"realities".

What do you think?
Ana

Ana Marjanovic-Shane