RE: reading critically

From: Mike Cole (mcole@weber.ucsd.edu)
Date: Sun Dec 21 2003 - 10:44:28 PST

I think you discount the variety inside of American psychology, Eugene. There
is no question of where the dominant ideology resides, but along with
reductionist and positivistic enthusiasms, there is also a growing appreciation
of the cultural constitution of human nature.

What disturbs me more than the drift of psychology, per se, is the way
in which ITS dominant methodological paradigm fits the command and control
nature of the Government's approach to ALL research with human beings, the
enthusiastic (and distorted) use of a medical model for behavioral research
(distorted because it only takes into account research that reaches the
clinical trials phase).

mike

Ps- Did I get the translation of nachitannost right?