bill can't post

From: Mike Cole (mcole@weber.ucsd.edu)
Date: Sat Dec 20 2003 - 09:46:30 PST

Bill Blanton asked me to post this to xmca for him. The grinch, he complains
is at work. I know what he means. I tried to post from my web-access version
of email two papers that speak to Phil's questions, but they evidently
did not go through.
mike.

>From blantonw@miami.edu Sat Dec 20 09:40:07 2003

Phil and Mike

I have tried for sometime to get my mind wrapped around the notion of
ZPD. I think that what makes the concept difficult to understand and apply
is that there is a great deal of writing on what it potential means and
very little inquiry on its application, along with data.

On a recent trip to a 5thD meeting at Lisbon, I took along Blumer's
Symbolic Interactionism. As I read the chapter, "Attitudes and the Social
Act," a splendid treatment of a scientific concept, I began rethinking my
understanding of zpd. It might be very useful to read this chapter and
and perhaps one or two more that deal with the idea of a scientific
concept. Then read a set of text on the zpd, followed by a discussion of
data that someone might be able make available. We could also get into how
to account for interactions through the zpd and obtain measurement of the
concept.

Here is the set of text that I was thinking about

Blumer', Symbolic interactionism
Whole text. Newman, Griffin, & Cole, The construction zone: Working for
cognitive change in school.
Chapter in Tharp, & Gallimore, Rousing minds to life: Teaching, learning,
and schooling in social context
Wells' chapter in Wells, Dialogic inquiry: Towards a sociocultural practice
and theory of education
Whole text. Rogoff & Wertsch Children's learning in the "zone of proximal
development
Cole chapter in Moll, Vygotsky and educations
Chaiklin's chapter in Kozulin, Gindis, Ageyev & Miller, Vgotsky's
educational theory in cultural context

We might need to cut down the scope of this task. This might be a nice way
to open a discussion at the beginning of the next academic session.

Bill Blanton