Fwd: CA Governor proposes slashing UC outreach programs

From: Ben Kirshner (kirshner@stanford.edu)
Date: Fri Dec 19 2003 - 09:17:53 PST

thought i'd just let people know what's going on in california in terms of
access to higher education. funding for outreach programs for the
university of california system (include state and UC campuses) was cut
unilaterally by the governor yesterday. these are programs that emerged in
response to Prop 209, which ended affirmative action; their purpose is
(was) to raise the academic readiness of students from low-income cities
and towns who go to under funded public schools. email below has details
(sent before the cuts were made official).

ben